MAG launched today alongside a patch for it. There's a whole slew of fixes, so I'm just going to go ahead and post the whole list (the rest can be seen after the break).
- Added ability for player to use knife during a reload animation.
- Applied significant tuning adjustments for all weapons and armor.
- Increased sprint duration before tiring by 30%.
- Lowered XP requirements for levels 2 thru 4.
- Lowered level-entry restrictions for Sabotage from Level 3 to Level 2.
- Lowered level-entry restrictions for Acquisition from Level 5 to Level 4.
- Lowered level-entry restrictions for Domination from Level 10 to Level 8.
- Enabled proper level requirements for unlocking headgear, facegear, and uniforms.
- Fixed problem with recoil/firing animation that kept playing for a few seconds after the player fires an automatic gun and uses knife swipe simultaneously.
MAG released today, meaning it has also received a launch trailer as most games do. Midnight launch attendees will be disappointed, however, because PSN will be offline from 12AM to 3AM PST for maintenance. So while your waiting for service to return, watch this launch trailer over and over again. We won't be.
MAG is a huge exclusive for the PS3, so obviously many people were surprised by the lack of reviews for the game. Sony has explained why there's very few reviews for the game out, basically saying you can't review it until you experience the full 256-player madness. Considering the game doesn't release until tomorrow, it makes sense.
"Reviews can’t be written until the game is actually out," said SCEA Social Media Manager Jeff Rubenstein. "I mean, you can't pass pre-release judgment on a game whose major, industry-leading feature (256 players in a single battle) can’t be tested until release day."
Fair enough. BNG should have its review of MAG coming shortly.
Plan on standing in line for MAG at midnight? Don't bother. Besides recent reports that reviews are being withheld, the Sony PlayStation Twitter feed just announced that PSN will be down for maintenance from 12-3am pacific standard time. Guess we're all better off buying it tomorrow...or maybe after some reviews tell us whether it's good or not.
In a recent interview with German website Play3.de, Zipper Interactive explained why they chose 256 players for their online FPS MAG. They say the count is the perfect number to give players that "epic battle" feel.
"We have chosen deliberately so for 256 players," a Zipper developer said [translated poorly]. "Not because we are a technical limit prescribing. Certainly we would be able to tickle a few more pieces from the hardware, but 256 players are perfect to give you the feeling of an epic battle. With a higher number of players would lose the individual and may no longer be seen as part of a team."
MAG comes out January 26 in the US.
[via Connected Consoles]
With MAG just four days away, one would expect to start seeing some commercials for it. Today, Sony gave us a sneak peak of the MAG commercial, and Kevin Butler is back at it again. It will begin airing this weekend. As you will see for yourself, the commercial depicts a job applicant asking Kevin Butler whether his MAG platoon leadership qualifies as management experience. Damn straight it does!
The creators of the PlayStation 3-exclusive MAG think the PlayStation Network is a much more mature crowd than Xbox Live, and the latter attracts more smack talk. MAG "definitely fits more" to the PlayStation audience "because of the things that are being said over Xbox Live," said Zipper Interactive's Ben Jones.
"I actually consider Xbox Live the more juvenile of the two," explained Jones, citing the main problem being "the things that are being said over Xbox Live."
"Each service has its own posse," Jones told GamerZines. "I think the PlayStation audience definitely fits more to our game.
The MAG beta ended last Sunday, and developer Zipper Interactive has released the statistics for the beta. According to their report, over one million people downloaded the beta client. Check out the full breakdown below.
- Before the end of the beta on January 10, there were well over a million downloads (860,000 in North America alone) of the MAG beta client worldwide.
- Of the 619,000+ people who gained at least one point of experience, 52,846 of them qualified for Squad Leader, 10,249 people qualified for Platoon Leader, 3,181 warriors made it all the way to OIC, and a mere 143 diehard soldiers made it to the level 60 experience cap.
- The breakdown of PMC preference ended up like this: Valor – 38.7%, Raven – 37.2%, SVER – 24.1%
- Who won the Beta 5.0 Shadow War? Despite their smaller numbers, SVER took the Sabotage war – barely edging out Raven. Meanwhile, Valor took the Domination title; narrowly escaping a loss to Raven’s flock.
- More than 225 years worth of battles were played out over the week — with an average of 3.2 hours played per person.
- For the third beta period in a row, of all PSN users who participated in our testing phase, chennault2424 was the most prolific – he earned nearly 110,000 XP; making his grand total for the last three testing periods in excess of 360,000 experience points.
- Though chennault was the top guy, the remaining Top 5 list of players included My_Digital_Enemy, gomi-bukuro (jp), basquasher (jp), and Behike (jp).
Check out our MAG beta impressions here.
Curious about the MAG trophies? Well you're in luck, since Sony revealed them all on their blog earlier today. Here is the complete list:
- Angel of Mercy – 25 enemies killed in their in incapacitated state over a career
- Boom Town – Earn the Mortar Demolition, Total Blackout and AAA Demolition Ribbons
- Close Call — Earn three Bomb Squad Ribbons
- Clown Car – Awarded when a player destroys an APC or a Bunker, killing two players
- Commandon’t – Awarded when a player kills 50 of a certain specialty: Commando
- Coughing Killer – Killed an enemy while affect by poison gas grenades
- Dropping Like Flies – Destroy five enemy helicopters
- Duteous Maximus – Be on the winning faction for 10 Directive matches
- Efficiency Engineer – Earn three Bunker Buster Ribbons
- I Drink Your Milkshake – Awarded when a player kills 50 of a certain specialty: Field Support
- I Got 5 On It – Kill 5 enemies with a single Strategic Strike, excluding Poison Gas Barrage
- In Your Face – Earn five Combat Melee Ribbons
- Jack of One Trade – Awarded when a player reaches the bottom tier of a skill tree
- Junkyard Jockey – Earn three Mr. Badwrench Ribbons
- Lil Buddy – Earn two Purple Sidekick Ribbons
- Mia Culpa – Kill 50 enemies in a turret over a career
- Out of Scope – Awarded when a player kills 50 of a certain specialty: Sniper
- Screeching Halt – Awarded when a player kills 50 of a certain specialty: Rapid Assault
- Target Practice – Awarded when a player shoots down 25 paratroopers over a career
- The Harder They Fall – Awarded when a player kills 50 of a certain specialty: Direct Action
More bold statements made by Sony. This time, they're saying the FPS MAG will be the "tipping point" for consumers to purchase a PS3. The 256-player shooter lands later this month while the beta just recently ended.
"MAG is a very important IP for us and definitely a key exclusive for PS3," SCEE UK product manager Phil Lynch said to MCV this week. "MAG is a real statement of intent for us to engage fans of FPS games.